Lake Superior State University made its selection of banished words, which I blogged about earlier this month. Thank you to Christy Billings, my partner at the veterans’ writing workshop, for finding the History of Banishment.
The effort has been only moderately successful. The words for 2010 included “shovel ready,” “tweet,” “czar,” and “friend” as a verb.
Here are a few of my choices, with business speak crimes leading. For these purposes, words include phrases.
- brand, except when referring to cattle
- team unless it’s a sports reference
- metrics, limit this one to meters in poetry
- price point, drop the point
- seriously when one is being sarcastic, especially if followed by a question mark
- illegal alien unless the creature arrived by UFO and was accompanied by a sick bird